Thursday, April 2, 2015

1107

1107
1107 – Eleven O Seven – Racine Avenue. For me these are not merely numbers or a street name; they mean so much more. When I hear or say these words, memories or images come from all over and disseminate in my mind’s eye to invoke not images but emotions. 1107 is the address where my mom’s family lived. Racine Avenue ran perpendicular to Taylor Street, the heart of Chicago’s little Italy. My mom, the fifth child of my grandparents, was the first to be born in that building in 1916. My mother’s grandparents, great aunts, uncle and his family, also lived in the building.  For her entire life, my mom considered 1107 her home. And so did the rest of the family, including my generation.
 
When I was born, my parents lived a few blocks away, 810 Bishop Street. It was a relatively short distance from Racine Avenue. I can remember walking back and forth from Bishop Street and Racine Avenue. I actually knew the route by myself. When I was about 4 years old, I ‘ran away’ from home and headed to 1107 on my own. I was so proud of myself but needless to say, I was definitely in hot water. My mom said she grounded me for days. I never did that again. My mom was devoted to our church, Holy Family, and when my sister was old enough to start school, my parents sent her there. That’s when my parents decided to move back to Racine Avenue, to be closer to the school and church. We moved 5 houses down from 1107 to 1117. 1117 forever became HOME for me.
 
I smile when I think that in my mom’s immediate family there were 4 sisters and 3 of them lived on the same block, Aunt Ange, Aunt Bridgie and my mom. My mom’s 4th sister, Aunt Lu, was the furthest away in Indiana (I need to write about the times spent visiting her someday too). The two brothers of the family lived on the South Side. None the less, all our families were close. My uncles and their families were always on Racine Avenue. And my two cousins from Indiana spent a lot of time there too.  I can remember Christmases when all the family got together and we kids slept 5 in a bed and floors were covered with sleeping bodies.  I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything.
The doors were always open.  Seriously, we never locked our doors. In the summer time, when the summer heat was oppressive, the doors were left wide open and only the screen were shut to allow a breeze to flow the apartments.  We were all free to come and go into each other’s home.  My oldest cousin, Dan Purciarello, was dating his soon to be wife Eleanor, who literally lived next door at 1109.  When he was courting her, he spent the night at 1107.  My uncle and aunt and cousins were already asleep. But the door was left open and Dan merely walked in and slept on the sofa.
I wouldn’t even try to guess how many family gatherings were held at 1107. And of course, at all gatherings there was food. Never was there a gathering without food. And I am talking about meals and not just chips and dips and such. I hesitate to say that this is only an Italian trait, but virtually with everything that mattered in our lives, food was prominently present. Literally, from birth to death and everything in between food was present. Food was the focal point of EVERYTHING.
 
Because it is Easter again, I am going to Post My Auntie Ange's Calzone (her version of Easter Pie)recipe again.
By far the greatest food memory I have is Auntie Ang's Calzone.  This was definitely a once year event. She would start to perpare it days in advance and would give each family a huge piece.  As I got older and on my own, I got my own piece.   I am  putting that recipe in here exactly as she wrote it down and passed it on. 

ENJOY. Please leave your comments at the end of the recipe.


 
EASTER PIZZA – CALZONE (AUNTIE ANGE’S RECIPE)

DOUGH:

3 OR 4 CUPS FLOUR
1/2 TEASPOON SALT (optional)
3/4  TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
1 1/2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
3/8 CUP OIL
3/4 CUP MILK
3 EGGS

Sift dry ingredients, beat eggs, add milk and oil.  Add dry ingredients a little at a time.  Let dough rest in refrigerator for ½ hour before rolling out.  Divide into 2 pieces (1 for top and 1 for bottom).  Add filling, then top crust, hold with toothpicks on top and pinch with fork around the sides.  Rub or brush top with 2 egg yolks.  Bake at 350 until done (45 minutes to 1 hour).

FILLING FOR SAUSAGE CALZONE:

5 POUNDS ITALIAN SAUSAGE (hot or mild)
 (Or 5 pounds of pork butt mix.  Add red pepper, salt and fennel seed.  Mix well.)
1 TO 1 1/2  POUND MOZZARELLA CHEESE CUBED
½ TO 1 CUP GRATED CHEESE (Parmesian, Aziago or Romano)
4 EGGS
Brown Sausage and drain.  Add mozzarella, grated cheese and eggs.  Put in crust and cover with top crust.  Bake until done (should be a nice golden brown color).

FILLING FOR SWEET CALZONE:

3 POUNDS RICOTTA
1/2 CUP SUGAR
1 HEAPING TEASPOON CINNAMON
3 EGGS
Mix well and put in crust and bake until done 

3 comments: