Wednesday, March 7, 2012

CRAB CAKES


CRAB CAKES

I am sure my mom is looking down at me (could she be looking up instead?) and giving me a dirty look.  I really gave her a hard time eating. I was such a fussy eater, refusing anything that looked or smell funny. She would beg me to try something. But I always had a predetermined mind to any new food dish. Unlike my father and sister who would eat anything put in front of them, I wouldn’t.  Fortunately, that has changed a lot. 

As Lent continues, I will be adding additional meatless recipes.  I taught a vegetarian cooking class at the College of DuPage.  Here is one of the recipes I came across.  It can be used as an appetizer or a main course.  Feel free to double the recipe. It still works.





CRAB CAKE

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 pound cooked crab meat, flaked
1/4 cup bread crumbs, more as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional breadcrumbs for dredging
Butter and oil for frying



1. Mix together the parsley, mustard, Worcestershire, eggs and mayonnaise.
2. Add the crab meat and crumbs. Season with salt and pepper and combine well but gently, so you don't        break up the crab meat.
3. Divide the mixture into 6 to 8 portions; flatten gently into thick patties.
4. Coat each patty lightly with crumbs. If possible, refrigerate for 30 minutes before sautéing.
5. Heat butter and a little oil, enough to generously cover the bottom, in a large fry pan over medium-high heat.
6. Add the crab patties and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
7. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately or keep in warm oven till ready to serve.



Here’s a little hint about chopped herbs.   Many recipes call for small amounts of chopped herbs, such as parsley, basil, cilantro, etc.  Well you just can’t buy small amounts.  They come in bunches. I found an easy solution to having fresh herbs available.  When I buy a bunch,  I rinse it out thoroughly, dry it as much as I can.  Cut all the stems off and place the remaining leaves in a food processor and PROCESS.

You are left with more than you leave.  Use what the recipes call for and then place the rest in a tight container and freeze it.   The next time you need just a little bit, it’s right there.



ENJOY.

No comments:

Post a Comment