Monday, November 21, 2011

Stuffing


Thanksgiving II



What’s Thanksgiving without dressing?  I think I like dressing more than I like the turkey.  The following recipe is my mom’s.  I am not sure where she got it. In the back of my mind, I think she said she Aunt Rosie De Leonardis gave it to her (She another character in the list of family members I hope to feature. And WOW, what a character she was.



This is a type of recipe that you should only use once a year.  It’s certainly is an artery clogger!!  But it is my favorite.



                                            TURKEY DRESSING

½ lb. bacon

1 medium onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 lb. package croutons or favorite package stuffing

2 sticks margarine, melted

2 large eggs, slightly beaten

½ cup of Parmesan, Romano cheese

3 tablespoons parsley

1 teaspoon rosemary

1 teaspoon basil

1 teaspoon oregano

1 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped or 8 oz. can of mushrooms





1.  Slice bacon and sauté in a large skillet until transparent, not crisp. Remove bacon from skillet.



2.  In same skillet, sauté onions and celery until transparent.



3.  Place croutons in a large bowl. Add melted margarine and toss into croutons.



4.  Add eggs to bowl.



5.  Add spices, bacon, onions and celery with the bacon drippings.



6.  Add mushrooms and toss all the ingredients with your hands.



7.  Fill turkey and bake as per turkey recipe; or,



8.  Place stuffing in baking pan and place in preheated 375-degree oven for 1 to 1          ¼ hour.  Bake until golden brown.

1 comment: