Thursday, July 28, 2011

CUCUMBER SOUP

It’s July and it’s still HOT. So here’s another summer recipe. I received a few good responses to my Gazpacho recipe so I thought I’d add another cold soup recipe. My early food experiences were very parochial. I had no idea that soup could be served anyway but HOT. In the winter months my mom made soup at least once a week. My favorite was her Ox Tail Soup. I would give anything for a bowl of that soup. Unfortunately, that was one of the recipes that my mom kept in her head. Obviously it was made with ox tail. I was such a fussy eater I still don’t know how I ever ate it. She would boil the ox tails seemingly forever, then add a few vegetables, more water and then barley. I am sure there were some seasonings added too, but I would not be able to identify them now. If anyone out there has a recipe to send, please do. Leave it in the comment section below, or email it to me at TaylorSt01@comcast.net.


Per a request by my friend Dan, here is a recipe for Cold Cucumber soup. As always, leave your comments below.


CUCUMBER - DILL SOUP



3 Cucumbers, peeled and chopped

1 clove garlic

1 cup plain yogurt

1 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons chopped dill

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste


Chopped dill for garnish


1. Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.


2. Serve in well chilled bowls and garnish with some chopped dill.



Variation: Eliminate the garlic and substitute mint for the dill.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this...am cooking this weekend...will let you know.

    Dab

    ReplyDelete