Thursday, December 30, 2010

Melanzana alla Romana

A little bit about this recipe. Well actually a lot about this recipe. This recipe was sent to me by Kathy M.  It was a recipe given to her by my mom years ago.  I first met Jim and Kathy M over 40 years ago when we were all QUITE young. (That’s all I m going to say!) We met when we were students at the Loyola Rome Ceneter. Jim and Kathy came to Chicago to do their graduate work at Northwestern University. They visited my folks often and were guests for dinner on many occasions.  Since then, we have remained the best of friends and have been part of each others’ lives.  Anyway…………  My mom made these croquoettes when Kathy was visiting us and she gave Kathy a copy.   Kathy in turn just sent it to me.  I am sharing it with you now. And more about Jim and Kathy later.

Melanzana alla Romana 

2 large eggplants (about 3 pounds)
2 eggs, beaten
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 to 1 cup fine bread crumbs
3 T. grated Romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour
oil for frying

Peel eggplant, cube and boil in salted water for 10  minutes. Drain and cool.  Squeeze out as much water as possible.  Chop very fine or put thru food chopper.  Add beaten eggs, seasonings and as much bread crumbs as necessary to make a mixture of good consistency to form croquettes.  Roll croquettes in flour and fry in 2-inch deep hot oil until golden color.  Serve as a side dish.

Dom, I have this recipe in your mom's handwriting.  I think it must be from 1969 or 1970!


1 comment:

  1. Hi, This is Kathy M. I just want to point out that Dom is older than I am. That said, he is a great friend and a much better cook than I am!

    ReplyDelete