Sunday, October 17, 2010

My First Adventures in Cooking

I was brought up Roman Catholic and all our Fridays were meatless.   I was a very picky eater and did like fish so cooking for me on Fridays was a chore for my mom.  She tried everything; fish sticks, tuna salad, lentils, pasta fagioli, salmon patties.  This list was endless and my poor mom tried everything to get me to eat healthy on Fridays.  Mustard sandwiches for dinner was not hacking it for her.

I don't know when it started or how she did it, but my mom "invented" Spaghetti and Tuna Fish.  It was Macaroni.   I doubt very much if she told me that there was tuna in this dish.  I think for several weeks she just served without telling me what was in it.

At some point I did find out what was it in. But by that time it was too late.  I actually loved it. It became my one and only dish I would eat on Fridays.  I think my mom was shocked that I actually liked it.  I am sure she didn't mind making it a Friday staple.

She went back to work full time when I was about 13 years old.  I was home by 3 every afternoon and on Friday's I did the cooking.  Spaghetti with Tuna became the first meal I cooked entirely on my own.

Here it is!! Enjoy

            SPAGHETTI WITH TUNA


2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2-6 ounce cans of tomato sauce
2-6 ounce cans of tomato paste
3 cups water
1 can tuna
1 lb. spaghetti
Oregano
Basil
Pepper
Garlic powder, optional

1.  In a large cold saucepan, add garlic and olive oil and Sauté until golden brown.  Do not overcook.

2.  Add tomato paste and tomato sauce.

3.  Add three cups of water.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.

4.  Add seasonings to taste.  If you like garlic add garlic powder to the sauce.

5.  Let simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hour or to the consistency you like.

6.  Fifteen minutes before serving add tuna to the sauce.  I prefer the chunky type but any kind will do.

7.  Boil spaghetti while the sauce is simmering and cook to until al dente.

Serve with fresh garden salad and garlic bread, if you like.  Serves 4-6.

2 comments:

  1. Dom, love your blog!!! Post more recipes! Maybe I can even learn to cook!

    ReplyDelete